Friday, April 22, 2016

Week 13 Storytelling: Ashley's Glasses

My name is Ashley. A few years ago I was in high school, and let me tell you it was horrible for the sot part. For the first three years I was either overlooked by everyone, or teased by those who didn’t see right through me. It was really mostly my stepsisters that picked on me, now that I think of it. They were terrible girls; so selfish and self obsessed. I was so lonely, and had very few friends. It may have been because I had enormous glasses that I used to wear. I also usually never wore my hair down or any makeup because it was just too much of a hassle for me in the mornings.  After those three years I was pretty sure everything would be the same for my senior year. I would’ve been ok with it at that point though because I was happy with my friends, and who I was.

Instead, there was a new kid on the first day. I remember I hadn’t yet seen him, but everyone was talking about him. We never really got many new kids. I was really excited to see what all the hype was about when it came to lunchtime, even though I knew it wouldn’t make any difference. When I saw him I was stunned by how drop dead gorgeous he was. If I were lucky enough to have him in any of my classes I would surely fail from my attention being elsewhere.

Of course, I found out next period that I would be failing math that year. Luckily he was sitting behind me, so it would be hard for me to look at him. I was also fairly good at math, so failing wasn’t really a possibility.

Over the next few weeks everything seemed relatively normal. Everyone ignored me, and I ignored them right back. We had a math test coming up within the next week, and I was busy studying for that. One morning I was so busy I ran out the door without a hairband to put my hair up. I knew this was going to be an off day as soon as I walked out the door.

That day in class the new kid actually talked to me (I found out his name was Derek). Derek asked me if I would help him study because he knew that I was the smartest in the class. I helped him all afternoon, and finally he started to be really picking up on everything! I was so excited that I must have left the room without my glasses. 
Glasses
From Pexels



The next day Derek was asking around to find me to give my glasses back, but no one seemed to be able to help him locate me.  Not even my own stepsisters knew they were mine. He had to wait until math period to give me my glasses, and when he did he asked me out on a date with him. Of course, I said yes! I was over the moon!

My stepsisters heard through the rumor mill, and it was quite funny to watch them so angry over this random new girl in Derek’s life. No one knew it was me, probably because no one knew me. We dated for months, and only when we made it official did everyone start to realize who the girl was that he was dating. People were so angry, like I had taken something from them, but we just ignored them.

From then on, no one messed with me, not even my stepsisters. Derek and I went off to college together, and dated for another four years, until he proposed to me on our graduation night. When I told my stepsisters they were so angry! SOne stubbed her toe so hard it bled, and the other got a nail in her heel from kicking the wall. It was quite the sight! Were getting married in about a month, and I couldn’t be happier!

Author’s Note: I decided to remake the Brother’s Grimm version of Cinderella, called Aschenputtel. In their story the girl weeps every night to the birds, and then they bring her a dress and shoes fit for the festival the prince is holding. Her stepsisters never realize that it is her until he shows up at their house with a shoe that will only fit her. He had put tar on the stairs to stop her from running away, but only was left with her shoe. Her stepsisters both cut off pieces of their feet to fit into the shoe, which is where their injuries in my story come from.


Bibliography: Aschenputtel from Walter Crane's Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm (1886)

1 comment:

  1. I loved your story! It reminded me of A Cinderella Story with Hilary Duff. Wow, I love that movie; it brings me back haha! You have a very nice way at telling stories and they are enjoyable to read! I always love the modern takes on stories as well! Great job!

    ReplyDelete